UNITED TOGETHER, we can make a difference in our community!
Please check out this video to see how you can be the difference in our community.
When you make individual contributions to United Way, your donation is an investment in the future of our community. Because of your investments, Lakes Area United Way is able to support fiscally sound, innovative, local non-profit programs that accomplish a lot.
- $3 per pay period provides basic living needs to 15 people who are on the path of becoming self sufficient.
- $5 per pay period provides 54 meals for community members who might otherwise go hungry.
- $10 per pay period provides 295 community members safety advocacy services and community prevention training for families suffering from domestic abuse.
- $20 per pay period provides 300 people with increased awareness and access to mental health services including education to decrease the stigmatism surrounding the mental health topic.
- 26,761 new books delivered to children under 5 years old through Imagination Library program
- 3,215 volunteer hours logged through Get Connected
- 48,000+ community members helped in the impact areas of health, education, and financial stability
Lakes Area United Way provides local companies an opportunity to facilitate the donation process. Through the ease of payroll deductions, employees can make incremental donations from each paycheck which allows them to give back to their community without needing to write a larger check at the end of the year. It's easy, for both employers and employees.
How it works
What United Way does:
- Meets with employers to explain who we are and what we do, and answers any questions they may have.
- Works with employers to provide all necessary information to employees and answers any questions necessary for employees to make informed decisions.
- Assists your payroll department in any way possible to make giving simple for all who choose to contribute.
- Provides opportunities for your employees in a no-pressure environment.
- Respects your time and your environment.
What the company does:
- Allows United Way to provide information about United Way and donation forms to employees
- Provides an opportunity for payroll deductions as a way for employees to invest boldly in their community
To learn more about how your company can help support United Way, please contact Jon at 218-829-2619 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in hosting a larger scale campaign with fun events to engage your employees, we’re happy to assist with that as well. See our campaign idea book here for examples of additional activities: United Way Campaign Idea Book to find fun ways to inform, activate and support employees around each month's theme.
Interested in coordinating a campaign at your workplace? Find more information here.
Frequently Asked Questions
No other single organization meets the broad range of needs addressed by United Way. United Way goes beyond fundraising by researching the needs of the community and bringing the right resources and people together to solve tough local issues. We work with business, government, and partner agencies to develop regional health and human service policies and strategies. We fund programs that are meeting people’s needs today, and we are working on innovative solutions for lasting change. United Way monitors the performance of grant-funded projects and reports results to donors. And to top it off, United Way makes it easy for everyone to get involved.
Why Give to United Way?
You make a difference. You are making an investment that benefits the entire community, not just one program, issue or population, and this leads to a stronger, more sustainable place to live and work. It is a smart investment. United Way provides expert management of donor investments and brings the right people, ideas and resources together to solve the most pressing needs of our community and finds innovative solutions for lasting change. United Way leverages your contribution by combining it with others and strategically investing in results-driven programs and initiatives to maximize the impact we have in the community. It is easy to give back in a way that matters to you. Spreading your giving throughout the year makes it easier to increase your giving while still staying within your budget.
What if I Don't Think I Can Afford to Give?
By using United Way’s payroll deduction plan, you can invest a small amount each pay period, and see it add up to a significant gift by year’s end. Your investment combined with thousands of others will have a real, measurable impact in the community. Skipping just one candy bar a week can add up to $52, which provides weekend backpack meals for kids in need.
Where Does the Money Go?
Your contributions fund large scale collaborations, individual agencies and specific programs focused on the most significant community needs in the areas of education, health, financial stability, and basic needs in Crow Wing and Cass Counties. For a complete list of United Way’s currently funded programs, click here.
Can I Afford to Give?
It is true that some individuals may not be in a position to give because of their current financial situation. However, payroll deduction allows us an easy way to give a little each month, making it possible to help a lot on an annual basis. If you are unable to use payroll deduction United Way can bill you monthly/quarterly, etc. Remember every donation regardless of its size makes a difference in our community.
Is my United Way Donation Tax Deductible?
Giving to United Way entitles taxpayers who file itemized returns to a tax deduction. If you itemize you can deduct the value of the cash, stock or property. Those donors who contribute gifts of $250 or more receive a receipt from United Way for use in their tax preparation. Please consult your tax advisor for information on your specific situation.
What Else Does United Way do Besides Fund Agencies?
In addition to raising and investing dollars, United Way brings together community stakeholders, contributors, and agency partners to create collaborative and innovative approaches to help solve community issues. United Way also coordinates a variety of initiatives and programs such as our annual Poverty Simulation, Llama Llama Read-o-Rama, & Chili Cook Off. United Way also host the Lakes Area's volunteer hub website, Get Connected.
Who Decides How My Contribution is Spent and How Carefully are Agency Expenditures Monitored?
Volunteers, area residents like you, decide how much is allocated to each program. Volunteers from all segments of our community work together to review each agency’s budget and program budget each year. These volunteers assure contributors that every dollar is spent wisely. An important element programs need before receiving funds from United Way is sound fiscal management. This is ensured by volunteered review of financial reports and annual audits on a continuing basis.